Chief Railway Engineer
Founded in 1968, Griffiths is one of the leading civil engineering and rail contractors working throughout Wales, the midlands and south-west England. With an annual turnover of circa £225m our 1000+ directly employed, well-trained, dedicated and highly competent workforce deliver client solutions which includes Transport for Wales, Welsh Government, Network Rail, Highways England, local authorities, Utility Companies and selected private sector organisations.
In 2018, Griffiths became part of Tarmac, the UK’s leading sustainable building materials business and a wholly owned subsidiary of CRH. Griffiths has over 1,000 employees operating across 100 sites or schemes at any given time.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Chief Railway Engineer to join the leadership team at our Abergavenny office with some flexibility to attract the best candidates. This is a role that will provide stretch and challenge as it is a multidimensional job.
We want a dynamic and inclusive workforce and it’s important that our people come from a variety of backgrounds.
Reporting directly to the Rail Director and working with the Railway Operations Directors you will be required to manage the Engineering and Planning delivery and assurance resources for all rail projects to ensure compliance with Company and functional procedures and standards. Key responsibilities for this role will include:
Leadership of a team of Contractor’s Responsible Engineers, Contractor’s Engineering Managers, P6 Construction Planners, Possession Planning Manager, Plant Operating Scheme Manager for in-house RRVs and BIM Manager.
Focus on developing and delivering safe, effective, innovative and profitable solutions at design and construction phases.
Work with Operations Directors to plan, resource and deliver construction schemes.
Provide sign-off as Chief Railway Engineer for approval of temporary and permanent works.
Maintain technical knowledge and status in line with post.
Management of resources for Engineering planning, delivery and assurance all Rail projects
Maintain Engineering and Planning related procedures in line with Network Rail and British Standards and update team accordingly
Ensure discipline design or construction complies with current applicable standards, legislative requirements and specification.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for a candidate who possesses the following skills:
- Leadership skills with experience of effectively delivering successful projects by getting the best out of engineers, designers and delivery teams.
- A a breadth and depth of knowledge of design, engineering, planning and BIM Management for project delivery.
- Able to interpret drawings and resolve problems with the Engineering team to develop solutions for design and construction issues.
- Work to the Network Rail Standards as applied to the schemes.
- Proven ability to adapt to new challenges and to lead different workstreams concurrently
- Civil Engineering with Chartered Status.
- At least ten years relevant leadership experience in a construction or project management role, within the railway industry.
- Knowledge of the GRIP Process.
- Excellent leadership, communication and IT skills.
- Relevant CSCS card.
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities inc. BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities
Interested? Why not click here to find out more? Go on… are you ready to build your future?
Tarmac is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
Tarmac Trading Limited