This role is for J B Riney (part of the Tarmac Business). At J B Riney, our people are our company. J B Riney is a long-established Civil Engineering company who have operated in the Greater London area for nearly 40 years. Working alongside many Local Authorities and Councils, our well-earned reputation is built on local knowledge, reliability, quality products / services and a customer focused delivery.
As part of the national Tarmac business which sits within the global CRH family, the career opportunities are limitless. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry.
Riney are looking for an experienced Commercial Manager to be the leading provider of contractual and legal advice across the business.
As Commercial Manager you will report into the Contracts Director. Your Direct and Indirect Reports will be:
Senior Quantity Surveyor | Commercial Lead | Quantity Surveyor | Assistant Quantity Surveyor
- To provide commercial leadership/management to your respective area of the Riney business, overseeing the measurement and preparation of valuations to maximise financial returns under the provisions of the contract conditions and company procedures.
- Working with your counterpart commercial manager for the other area of the business; You will have responsibility for the commercial systems, processes and applications whilst overseeing procurement and leading the commercial / surveying teams across your area of the business.
- Lend contractual expertise to commercial and operational colleagues at contract level and own monthly / annual cost and value reconciliations, budgets / forecasts and work in progress (WIP). Drive procedural and behavioural improvement to increase returns and best practice across the business.
- Actively build relationship with customers to secure payments within the specified contract terms and manage overall work in progress, debt and stock. Close management of procurement and sub-contractor accounts.
- Play a key role in the Riney Leadership Team by contributing to the pricing and mobilisation of all new contracts and providing guidance on commercial governance of business risk. You will also be responsible for completing contract reviews and risk monitoring.
- Ensure that all risks are identified and minimised on all contracts. Measure and agreement with client.
- Control of cost and value, WIP, debt & stock at acceptable levels.
- Prompt payment and cash flow
- Ensure good management of all of our sub contract requirements. Value generation and management of ordering / liabilities
- Management of contractual risk and timely, advantageous and economic resolution of disputes.
- Transparent and clear knowledge of monthly position and outturn expectations
- Employee engagement, and improved staff performance and engagement.
- Lead the QS teams across your area of the business to generate a strong team ethos and identify and implement best practice across all the contracts
- Ensure good commercial management and governance on all bids. Value generation.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have experience delivering demonstrable results in a similar role.
- Higher Education Achievement – Degree in either Construction Law, Quantity Surveying or Commercial Management (preferable)
- Largely qualified by experience related to industry standards
- Member of RICS (desirable)
- Strong NEC / JCT / ICC Conditions of contracts/specification requirements/ method of measurements knowledge
- Dispute resolution
- Process driven
- Analytic ability
- IT Literate Word Excel, Project and PowerPoint
- Operational technical Knowledge
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Effective communication skills
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Car Allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities (employee networks) we currently have nine communities inc.(REACH) Religious, Ethnic, Cultural Heritage, LGBTQ+, Parents & Carers, Ability, Wellbeing, Female voice and Menopause
- Training and development opportunities
Interested? Why not click here to find out more? Go on… are you ready to build your future?
Tarmac is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
Tarmac Trading Limited