Founded in 1968 Griffiths are one of the leading civil engineering and construction organisations working in Wales, the English border counties, and the West of England.
We pride ourselves in providing the “personal touch” establishing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships at all levels within client organisations, throughout the supply chain and with stakeholders.
We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry we offer a range of career development opportunities as a Business Unit of Tarmac PLC. We are looking for people who share this passion, enthusiasm, and collaborative approach to join our team. As part of a global business in CRH, the career opportunities are limitless.
We are currently looking to recruit a Construction Manager to join our growing Major Projects Team initially on Worcester Southern Link Road working on Infrastructure Projects of various sizes for several key clients across the public and private sectors.
We are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it is important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
Reporting directly to the Project Manager the Construction Manager has a responsibility to ensure that the Construction of the scheme is delivered on time and to budget in a safe, environmentally friendly manner and to the high quality standards set by the Project Director. They will also be responsible for:
- Proactively manage the client relationship during delivery, including change and decision making to effectively manage expectations
- Acting as deputy for the Project Manager at all times that they are away from site
- Undertaking line management responsibilities for direct report staff ensuring each are effectively managed, has a current performance review and learning plan, and are able to carry out duties as assigned to them.
- Complying and implementing the companies Integrated Management System procedures and guidance and promote its implementation with the Construction Team
- Assisting with the development of the Construction Phase H&S Plan with the Safety Manager and ensuring it outlines the safe management and identified risks for the project.
- Obtaining all necessary permits and approvals to ensure works progress to the agreed programme
- Identifying to the Project Planner all constraints, critical dates, long lead-in items and preferred construction sequence to enable them to prepare the Contract Programme
- Reviewing the project take-off with the Engineer to ensure all major material requirements are identified and prepare a schedule of deliveries to comply with the programme
- Reviewing the Sub-Contract Procurement Schedule with the Commercial Manager and identify preferred suppliers
- Reviewing the Project Cost Plan with the Project Manager and Commercial Manager prior to submission for approval by the Project Director
- Ensuring that the Site Setup Checklist is completed and signed off by the Projects Manager
- Ensuring that any specific requirements of the contract are identified, documented and submitted for approval with the timeframes required to achieve Contract Programme.
- Nominating person responsible for Document Control to maintain all Site Documentation and key communications.
- Ensuring the Safety Manager completes the Monthly H&S Reports and sends them to the Company H&S Director
- Implementing a good communications strategy within the project to ensure that all team members are regularly briefed.
- Discussing Plant and Labour requirements with Site Agents and report Labour requirements to the Project Manager on a weekly basis
- Undertaking a weekly review of Design Deliverables Schedule with the Design Manger to ensure information is provided to suit the Contract Programme, manage the production of Construction Drawings by Design Consultants within the given timeframes
- Monitoring delivery of the project, identifying risk and opportunities to optimise project delivery through the development and management of a Project Risk Register for wider programme issues, ensuring that Section Agents develop and manage their section specific Risk Registers for local issues. Report key risks/opportunities to the Project Manager
- Setting and aligning targets in line with budget forecast, review cost/value with Commercial Manager through weekly cost meetings
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for a candidate ideally with previous Construction Management experience within an operational environment who possesses the following skills/experience:
- Extensive experience of Civil Engineering industry particularly within Highways/ road construction
- Strong personal and organisational skills
- Strong communication and IT skills
- Good attention to detail
- To be self-motivated and be able to prioritise and manage workload
- To be responsive to the needs of internal and external customers and colleagues
- Preferably a further education qualification e.g. Degree or HND/HNC (ideally relatable to Civil Engineering)
- CSCS qualification
At Tarmac we are passionate that our workforce reflects the communities where we operate. Our ambition is that everyone regardless of level, role, or background will enjoy an environment of respect, inclusion and belonging. We actively remove barriers to ensure everyone is supported and can reach their potential with us. We take active steps to encourage people from a broad range of backgrounds to apply for jobs at Tarmac as we believe a diverse, inclusive company will enable everyone to thrive. We are a disability confident employer and will make reasonable adjustments as required. We are committed to support flexible working and believe getting the balance right is critical to personal and professional success.
Tarmac Trading Limited