Founded in 1968 Griffiths are one of the leading civil engineering and construction organisations working in Wales, the English border counties, and the West of England.
We pride ourselves in providing the “personal touch” establishing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships at all levels within client organisations, throughout the supply chain and with stakeholders.
We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry we offer a range of career development opportunities as a Business Unit of Tarmac PLC. We are looking for people who share this passion, enthusiasm, and collaborative approach to join our team. As part of a global business in CRH, the career opportunities are limitless.
We are currently looking to recruit an Environmental Advisor to join our teams covering rail and infrastructure projects in the North/Mid Wales region. The project will oversee the Dyfi Bridge installation which, located on the A487 near Machynlleth, will improve road safety, strengthen links between communities, provide active travel opportunities and build resilience against flooding. Once completed, the project will also improve transport connectivity to help stimulate further economic development in mid-Wales.
The purpose of this role will be to provide expert environmental advice relating to environmental and sustainability matters at all Alun Griffiths Contracting operating sites, offices and other divisions for all construction phases to ensure all employees have the required awareness and competencies.
We’re working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
Reporting to the Future Generations Manager you will be responsible for:
- Assisting in the delivery of the environmental and sustainability strategy, and support the development, implementation and maintenance of the management system
- Ensuring legal compliance (permits, licences and waste exemptions) and that customer expectations are met relating to environmental and sustainability issues
- Working with SHEQ colleagues to provide operating sites and offices with effective solutions for environmental performance
- Acting as key point of contact for business unit environmental issues
- Supporting internal and external environmental communications
- Delivering and supporting the Future Generations Manager in business-wide strategies and initiatives designed to improve wellbeing of future generations, sustainability and environmental performance
- Raising awareness in the business through identifying training gaps; arrange, co-ordinate and deliver specific environmental training
- Investigating all environmental non-conformances and audit findings
- Supporting site teams in the preparation of project Environmental Management Plans and perform a final review of the document prior to submission to the client
- Monitoring and reporting on the implementation of the company’s environmental and sustainability policies and procedures
- Assisting in the investigation of environmental incidents and close calls, working with SHEQ colleagues to support site teams to develop and implement solutions
- Undertaking and producing site inspections as appropriate
The Ideal Candidate
Required experience, knowledge, qualifications and training:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in an environmental role within the construction industry.
- Good knowledge and experience of statutory environmental legislation and regulations, as well as industry best practice.
- Be familiar and conversant with ISO 14001.
- Member of IEMA (or equivalent)
- Good cross business team working, with experience of influencing staff at all levels
- Experience in Microsoft office (word, excel PowerPoint)
- Excellent communications skills – written and verbal.
- CSCS card
- Personal Track Safety certification
- Full UK driving licence
Desirable experience, qualifications and training:
- Hold an industry recognised auditor qualification.
- Chartered environmentalist
- Site based Safety qualification (e.g. SMSTS)
At Tarmac we are passionate that our workforce reflects the communities where we operate. Our ambition is that everyone regardless of level, role, or background will enjoy an environment of respect, inclusion and belonging. We actively remove barriers to ensure everyone is supported and can reach their potential with us. We take active steps to encourage people from a broad range of backgrounds to apply for jobs at Tarmac as we believe a diverse, inclusive company will enable everyone to thrive. We are a disability confident employer and will make reasonable adjustments as required. We are committed to support part-time and flexible working and believe getting the balance right is critical to personal and professional success.
Tarmac Trading Limited