Griffiths is one of the leading civil engineering and rail contractors working throughout Wales, the midlands and south-west England. With an annual turnover of circa £0.3b our 1000+ directly employed, well-trained, dedicated and highly competent workforce deliver client solutions which includes Welsh Government, Network Rail, National Highways, local authorities, Utility Companies and selected private sector organisations.
Operating out of strategically located centres, with a large directly employed workforce and extensive plant fleet we have the flexibility and resources to respond swiftly to clients’ needs. Our experience embraces both the public and private sectors and includes major and minor capital projects, framework and term maintenance contracts, partnering and joint venture alliances. As a regional company, we have an inherent interest in the social, economic and environmental well-being of the areas within which we live and work. We invest in these local communities through every project we undertake.
In 2018, Griffiths became part of Tarmac, the UK’s leading sustainable building materials business and a wholly owned subsidiary of CRH Group, and consequentially offers global and wider corporate opportunities that you would expect from a FTSE 100 listed company. With over 7000 employees based in the UK and 71,000 employees globally, we span 28 countries across 4 continents.
We are currently seeking a Financial Controller to join the Griffiths team. The role is based at our Griffiths Head Office site in Abergavenny, although we operate a flexible, hybrid working model and therefore do not expect this to be a 5 days per week office based role.
This role will see you lead a team of c. 20 people, with 4 direct reports, working closely with the FD to deliver the strategic and regional business plans, as well as contributing to enhanced financial controls and compliance. You will also take responsibility for audit and financial reporting to group as well as cash management with Procure to Pay (P2P) and Order to Cash (O2C) processes
The role represents an outstanding opportunity for a qualified accountant, with significant post-qualification experience gained within a large, complex organisation to play a driving role in the financial leadership of the Griffiths business, and it's further integration into Tarmac and the wider CRH Group.
Experience gained within either the construction industry, or of the financial management of high-value contracts and associated reporting requirements (IFRS 15) would be advantageous.
In this role you will:
- Support the Griffiths Finance Director and Management team prepare 5 year Strategic Plan and Regional business plans.
- Contribute to the delivery of finance strategy in improving the company’s financial controls and compliance, and developing MI and reporting
- Lead Griffiths month-end reporting of regional results and responsible for management of balance sheet reviews, controls, provisions and reconciliations, along with VAT compliance for Group submission.
- Manage the provision of information required to comply with IFRS16 for Lease accounting and IFRS 15 revenue recognition
- To support the Griffiths leadership team in the provision of financial information and to manage the reporting and analysis as part of the company’s management reporting cycle including the Tarmac/CRH reporting deliverables.
- To manage the CapEx budget and capital requests, linking in with the Plant Director and Business Leadership Team to ensure any capex requests are valid and appropriate
- Ensure compliance to group policies, processes, procedures and tools to ensure effectiveness, efficiency and compliance with SOx requirements
- Be responsible for balance sheet reviews and linking in with group on changes in policies or process
- Support the development of an Operating Manual and Roll out of policies & procedures across the business
- Coach and manage direct reports and drive a high performance fast paced responsive culture.
The Ideal Candidate
- Will posses an accounting qualification (ACCA/CIMA/ACA), along with significant post-qualification experience
- A proven track record of financial delivery, with operational and commercial experience in large, multi-site construction or manufacturing businesses.
- Relevant technical skills and financial accounting background, particularly around Contract Accounting which is desirable but not essential.
- Demonstrable understanding of complex organisations, key business issues and balance sheet controls / reconciliations.
- Understanding of Contract Accounting and IFRS 15 revenue recognition.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Ability to work under pressure to deliver against multiple objectives and deadlines
- Ability to drive process change and improvement
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Car allowance
- Bonus scheme
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities including: BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities
Tarmac is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
Tarmac Trading Limited