Founded in 1968 Griffiths are one of the leading civil engineering and construction organisations working in Wales, the English border counties, and the West of England.
We pride ourselves in providing the “personal touch” establishing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships at all levels within client organisations, throughout the supply chain and with stakeholders.
We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry we offer a range of career development opportunities as a Business Unit of Tarmac PLC. We are looking for people who share this passion, enthusiasm, and collaborative approach to join our team. As part of a global business in CRH, the career opportunities are limitless.
We are currently looking to recruit a Foreman to join our friendly team to work on our forthcoming A40 Llanddewi Velfrey to Redstone Cross road construction/highways project. The project consists of the construction a new off-line 6km carriageway. As well as the road construction works, there will be new structures: two precast bridges, multiple culverts, attenuation ponds, accommodation tracks and detrunking and active travel facilities. This is an ideal opportunity for a candidate with highways, structures, earthworks and drainage industry experience.
Whilst the project will commence around Summer 2021, this position will then continue within the thriving Alun Griffiths Business within the South Wales region.
The works will be carried out on the A40 in Llanddewi Velfrey, near Narbeth, and so we will be looking to receive applications from candidates based within a one hour radius of this location or from candidates willing to relocate. Carmarthen would be the closest town, approximately 20 minutes east.
We are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it is important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds with a team approach of working together to achieve the success of this project.
Reporting to the Section Agent you will be responsible a variety of tasks including:
- Supervising 5/6 gangs at one time across the section of the project; each section upto 1.5km in length
- Providing health and safety leadership to the operational delivery site team
- Promote and lead the site safety culture within the site teams. Ensure that all works are carried out in a planned, controlled, and safe manner, in accordance with statutory regulations, current standards, and the Company SHEQ standards.
- Ensuring the teams are organised and well-motivated to safely meet the required programme milestones (installation of carriageway and structures: culverts, overhead bridges and other earthworks/drainage construction and maintenance)
- Providing daily briefings and toolbox talks to teams
- Providing regular updates to line management on work delivery and progress
- Setting site teams to work safely in accordance with assessed construction risks and adherence with the defined control measures
- Set site teams to work safely in accordance with assessed construction risks and effectively communicate the control measures and ensure they are maintained.
- Record any Near Misses on the Near Miss Cards, completed cards to be provided to the Safety Manager.
- Review and plan site operations with Section Agents to ensure that any works are planned accordingly
- Monitor delivery of the project, identifying risk and opportunities to optimise project delivery, reporting key risks/opportunities to the Section Agent.
- Ensure contemporary record keeping through the maintenance of a site diary.
- Ensure all works are undertaken in accordance with the necessary RAMS and that Hold Points are adhered to and actioned accordingly. Any concerns or potential changes are to be reported immediately to the Section Agent for revaluation.
- Ensure all Permits to Work (Excavation, Hot Works, Confined Spaces, Electrical Connections) are raised on relevant forms, issued, and filed with a copy of Permit issued to appropriate Ganger and briefed accordingly.
- Ensure all works are undertaken in accordance with the necessary quality requirements and that Hold Points are adhered to and actioned accordingly. Any non-conformities are to be reported to the Section Agent.
- Promoting and maintaining effective client and stakeholder relationships to protect and enhance the company’s reputation to enable repeat business
- Upholding the core company values, inspire and encouraging the same throughout the team
- Ensuring the timely ordering and delivery of all plant and equipment appropriate for safe delivery of the works and is secured and maintained effectively
- Good understanding and knowledge of environmental controls required on site and environmental constraints.
- Encouraging your team members to develop and progress and gain new skills where applicable
- Rewards others when required
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role the ideal candidate will have a Civil Engineering background ideally with experience of Highways/Road Construction projects. Earthworks/Drainage experience would be beneficial and/or structures construction. They will also have experience of supervising multiple gangs or similar team dynamics. They will also possess:
- Strong personal and organisational skills
- Be a leader
- Passion for keeping people safe and improving themselves, cultures and individuals
- An understanding of site policies and procedures
- An understanding of on-site Health and Safety policies and procedures
- To be self-motivated and be able to prioritise and manage workload
- To be responsive to the needs of internal and external customers and colleagues
- CSCS qualification
- Environmental Training (Site Environmental Awareness Training Scheme – SEATS)
- Fist Aid at Work (desirable)
- Streetworks operative (desirable)
- Temporary Works Supervisor (desirable)
- Confined space (desirable)
- Able to work site hours Mon – Fri 07.30 -17.30
- Able to work occasional nights and weekend shifts.
At Tarmac we are passionate that our workforce reflects the communities where we operate. Our ambition is that everyone regardless of level, role, or background will enjoy an environment of respect, inclusion and belonging. We actively remove barriers to ensure everyone is supported and can reach their potential with us. We take active steps to encourage people from a broad range of backgrounds to apply for jobs at Tarmac as we believe a diverse, inclusive company will enable everyone to thrive. We are a disability confident employer and will make reasonable adjustments as required. We are committed to support flexible working and believe getting the balance right is critical to personal and professional success.
Tarmac Trading Limited