At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
We are currently looking for a Laboratory Technician to join our friendly team based in Tarmac Dunbar, East Lothian. This site is easily accessible from Haddington, North Berwick, Berwick-upon-Tweed and the surrounding areas.
Here at Tarmac, we are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
In the role of Laboratory Technician you will be responsible for the regular testing and analysis of samples including final product (mill and dispatch cements), process control samples, and water etc. using physical and chemical testing and instrumental (e.g. XRF/XRD) techniques. The Laboratory Technician will also be responsible for:
- Routine calibration of laboratory equipment and will be able to understand and communicate the results & take responsibility to ensure all testing meets the required internal and external standards
- Shift work - the site is a 24/7 365 days operation and therefore conducting routine and non-routine sampling and testing is a continuous process. This may involve night working, weekend and Bank Holidays and being on call (all paid overtime)
- Accurate analysis within the statutory legislation and the internal company Quality, Safety, Health and Environmental Standards
- Ensuring housekeeping and visual standards are maintained across the laboratory setting in line with health and safety, being proud of your equipment and working environment
- Adhering to all company rules and policies and showing leadership to positively challenge behaviours and actions that do not meet the Tarmac standards
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for Laboratory Technician will have experience within a similar role, as well as laboratory experience and working knowledge of BS:EN 196,197. Suitable candidates for the role of Laboratory Technician will also have:
- IT literacy skills particularly with Windows applications
- Working knowledge of cement manufacturing and/or cementitious products
- Excellent communication skills
- FLT licence (preferred but not essential as training can be provided)
- Experience in the calibration/maintenance of lab equipment (desirable however training will be provided)
- The ability to work within a team, across different shifts and participate in out of hours call outs on a rota basis
- Knowledge of Chemical Analysis, sampling and testing (preferred not essential)
- Comprehensive understanding of safety procedures
- Ability to prioritise and make decisions, and be capable of handling multiple complex issues simultaneously
- High level of attention to detail
Along with the role of Laboratory Technician we additionally offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Bonus scheme
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities inc. BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities
Interested? Why not click here to find out more? Go on… are you ready to build your future?
Tarmac is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
@Tarmac #Tarmac #Tarmaccareers #LaboratoryTechnician #TestTechnician #MaterialsTechnician #Materialstesttechnician #Cement #materials #testing
Tarmac Trading Limited
Tarmac Trading Limited