Logistics Capacity and Planning Manager
At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
We are currently looking for a National Logistics Capacity and Planning Manager to join our team. As the role has a national remit, we are flexible regarding location and are happy to discuss this during the interview process.
In this key role you’ll be looking at the provision and management of sufficient haulage capacity to meet the needs of the Blocks business through building an effective team. You will take a balanced approach to delivering high levels of customer service vs cost to serve and oversee the end to end logistics solution from factory to the customer. This opportunity will see you supporting the planning and fulfilment team by overseeing the planning and optimisation of the transport schedules in the most cost efficient manner whilst ensuring legal compliance is followed at all times. The successful applicant will also implement new policies, review existing procedures to minimize costs, increase accuracy, improve customer service and safety and meet product distribution needs.
You’ll also be managing contract haulier earnings and financial standing in conjunction with relevant colleagues with a view to protect business investment and ensuring sustainability. In addition, you’ll be managing all third party logistics’ relationships and haulage contracts, ensuring appropriate levels of haulage capacity is available as well as sourcing and investigating potential new haulage capacity options that exceed standards, and offer sustainable cost effective solutions for the future. You’ll also be responsible for continuous improvement in terms of Transport SHE policy, best practice sharing, external benchmarking, cost saving initiatives and value programmes and well as driving innovation in supporting IT applications where appropriate.
We are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of backgrounds.
Reporting to the Senior Logistics and Supply Chain Manager, your key responsibilities for this role will include:
- Ensure 100% adherence to Transport legislation and Safety protocols
- Ensure compliance with Group standards for safety, environment, and quality of the daily operations conducted by the logistics team and sub-contractors working for the business line - Engage and communicate with driver community to ensure buy-in to Zero Incidents culture, including quarterly driver meetings and ‘ride-alongs’
- Ensure all unsafe acts are reported to site managers. Engage and work with factory/plant managers Team Management - Manage talent pipeline ensuring successors are identified, talent developed, underperformance managed
- Deliver against agreed KPI’s and ensure team understand how they influence performance against them Customer Focus
- Put in place and maintain policies, processes and tools which will ensure customer deliveries are scheduled with a high level of accuracy and within service level agreements
- Address scheduling problems with the customer service team and provide solutions Delivery & Cost Management
- Meet financial targets relating to all transport related activity and minimise haulage cost/home delivered
- Analyse network performance identifying opportunities for continuous improvement with a focus on maximising revenue or reducing cost
- Maintain a core fleet of Contract Hauliers through close communication and understanding of individual haulier earnings vs. outgoings to enable sufficient profitability for sustainability and future investment
- Hold regular performance updates with key service providers: Third Party & Contract Hauliers
- Attend weekly calls to assist the Sales and Planning teams in scheduling and planning deliveries in advance, identify issues, provide solutions and ensure the logistics capacity can flew to meet peak demands; communicating in advance when it cannot
- Work with suppliers/hauliers to identify synergies to either reduce cost or maximise revenue Input into and review the Construction Phase Plan and any Work Package Plan methodology and risk mitigation measures
- Accountable for developing challenging improvement plans and ensuring that the logistics and planning function is appropriately resourced and competent to achieve its targets through procurement of haulage, effective training of all direct reports, and the production of annual performance contracts which are aligned to achieving the P&L and volume growth plans of the Blocks business
- Continuous review through monthly 1-2-1’s and performance management reviews; Role model Tarmac values and behaviours, ensuring they are communicated and embedded within the business
Based at the Planning Team location, the role will require frequent travel throughout the UK with overnight stays. It is expected that the role will be 3-4 days per week at base, with 1-2 days per week travelling
The Ideal Candidate
As our ideal candidate, we are looking for someone who possesses the following skills:
Transport management, safety and planning experience
- Experience and knowledge of the working time regulations and driving hours
- Contract procurement and management, including transport tender design, management and selection through negotiation, due diligence and implementation
- Understanding of the end to end Contract Haulier terms and process from recruitment and vetting, finance and equipment acquisition, earnings and financial position to renewals
- Experience of Microsoft Office Package, and Transport Management Systems and Route Optimisation packages
- Experience of working with a variety of vehicle types would be desirable (E.g. MOL, Curtainsiders, Flatbeds, Artics, Rigids)
- Experience managing and developing teams and working within a matrix
- National CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence)
- Able to effectively communicate at all levels with various stakeholders
- Excellent ability to plan, prioritise, delegate and work to deadlines with accuracy and attention to detail
- Uses influencing skills to gain buying from all parts of the business and haulage community
- Strives to deliver business goals, approaches challenges with energy and enthusiasm, overcomes obstacles, encourages and advises others to improve performance
- Agile, reacts to changing priorities; reflects on situations and learns from experiences.
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading
Some of the range of benefits on offer to employees include:
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits.
Some of the range of benefits on offer to employees include:
- Bonus scheme
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice.
- Training and development opportunities
Interested? Why not click here to find out more? Go on… are you ready to build your future?
At Tarmac we are passionate that our workforce reflects the communities where we operate. Our ambition is that everyone regardless of level, role, or background will enjoy an environment of respect, inclusion and belonging. We actively remove barriers to ensure everyone is supported and can reach their potential with us. We take active steps to encourage people from a broad range of backgrounds to apply for jobs at Tarmac as we believe a diverse, inclusive company will enable everyone to thrive. We are a disability confident employer and will make reasonable adjustments as required. We are committed to support part-time and flexible working and believe getting the balance right is critical to personal and professional success.
Tarmac Trading Limited