At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
We currently have a great opportunity for a Mechanical Maintenance Fitter to join our friendly team at our Tarmac Cross Green Asphalt Plant in Leeds. This role is easily accessible from Halifax, Huddersfield, Bradford, Headingley, Wakefield, Barnsley, Castleford, Dewsbury and the surrounding areas. Please note that travel to other sites may be required to cover holidays.
We’re working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
The role of Maintenance Fitter involves carrying out maintenance tasks on the asphalt plant, including conveyors, screens and mixer drives. Reporting to the Shift Supervisor, the Maintenance Fitter role is part of the 24/7 engineering function at Asphalt and rail off load operation at Cross Green, Leeds. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Responding to plant breakdowns – ensuring assets are returned to production in a timely manner, and temporary fixes are followed up with a permanent solution
- Working alongside the operations team to deliver effective and pre-emptive maintenance on the plant assets.
- Undertaking emergency breakdown repairs in a timely and efficient way on all production equipment
- Carrying out periodic planned inspections and maintenance including responsive repairs on all equipment – this includes fitting, lubrication, welding.
- Owning small scale projects and delivering them in a pragmatic and proactive manner
- Taking a cost conscious approach to maintenance activities
- Coordinating with contractors and suppliers when they are on site
- Participating in root cause analysis so repeat failures can be eliminated
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of the engineering function through your own observations and experience
- Welding and Fabricating to a good standard
- Working with risk assessments and method statements
- Contributing to the preparation and development of safe working methods for repair procedures
- Maintaining and promoting Health & Safety rules and regulations, following all company processes and procedures.
- Challenging unsafe conditions and practices, reporting these through company procedures
- Utilising the computerised maintenance management system and recording all work including fault descriptions, spares used and repairs carried out
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for the role of Maintenance Fitter will be self-motivated, enthusiastic and able to work with minimal supervision. You should also demonstrate proven experience working within an Industrial, Factory or similar environment as a Maintenance Fitter. Suitable candidates will:
- Have a recognised apprenticeship (preferably a higher-level standard)
- Ideally have ONC/HNC (desirable but not essential)
- Have a strong, practical mechanical systems background, heavy industry preferred - conveyors, drive systems – motors, belts, pumps, gearboxes, crushers, vibratory screens
- Possess a fault finding ability to identify defects and recommend appropriate action
- Possess the ability to remove and fit bearings
- Be capable of undertaking emergency breakdown repairs in a timely and efficient manner on all production equipment
- Be IT literate - capable of using PCs, common applications and company systems
- Demonstrate the ability to assess SHE risks arising from work activities and control risks accordingly
- Have knowledge of site-specific SHE procedures and Safe Working Practices
Along with the role of Maintenance Fitter we additionally offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Bonus scheme
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities inc. BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities
Interested? Why not click here to find out more? Go on… are you ready to build your future?
Tarmac is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
@Tarmac #Tarmac #TarmacCareers #Maintenancefitter #Maintenancetechnician #Maintenanceengineer #Mechanicaltechnician #Mechanicalengineer #Mechanicalfitter #Shiftfitter #Shiftmaintenancefitter #Shiftmaintenancetechnician #Shiftmaintenanceengineer
Tarmac Trading Limited
Tarmac Trading Limited