Marine Safety Superintendent
At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
We are currently looking for a suitably qualified and/or experienced Marine Safety Superintendent to join our friendly team in Chichester, West Sussex. This role is easily commutable from Bournemouth, Southampton, Portsmouth, Havant, Southsea, Fareham, Petersfield, Winchester Farnham, Guildford, Aldershot, Farnborough, Woking, Bognor Regis, Arundel, Brighton, Worthing, Burgess Hill, Eastbourne, Hastings and the surrounding areas.
Due to the nature and experience of the team, proactively support a hybrid working model and we actively encourage recent graduates to apply for this role as we are keen to develop the successful candidate to excel in this position should you be successful.
We’re working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
As a Marine Safety Superintendent, you will ideally have prior experience in a similar role.
Reporting to the Marine HS&E Manager, the Marine Safety Superintendent will be assisting the Ship Managers and Masters to ensure the vessels are maintained and operated in a safe and efficient manor in accordance with relevant legislation.
Furthermore, the Marine Safety Superintendent will also have the following duties and responsibilities (not exhaustive):
- Acting as Deputy DP Designated Person, and Deputy Company Security Officer when appointed
- Work with the Marine HS&E Manager in delivering and auditing the vessels in accordance with the annual audit plan
- Assist with and monitor with the Ship Manager and Master to ensure all agreed actions arising from any HSE activity are closed out as agreed and in line with agreed time scales
- Work with and monitor with the Ship Manager and to supply vessels with Material Safety Data Sheets when delivering orders for hazardous products
- Assist the Master to ensure all actions arising from safety committee meetings, safety events, incidents on board are effectively managed and closed out in a timely manner
- Attend and support safety committee meetings ashore and afloat and additionally co-ordinate and deliver training
- Incident investigation
- Produce in conjunction with the ship manager the Bridging Documents for docking and alongside repairs
- Review and updating Risk Assessments
- Assist and support ship managers during repairs
- As a member of the company ERT, to conduct duties as detailed in the Emergency Procedures manual
- Manage associated responsibilities as defined within the Asbestos Management Plan
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be a Marine Safety Superintendent who has previous experience in a similar role and level; and is also in receipt of the following:
- Clear and effective communication at all levels
- Experience of applying processes that are tailored to business needs
- Incident investigation and risk mitigation
- Clear understanding and belief in behavioural based safety and visible felt leadership
- Coaching and developing people
- ISM Designated Person and ISPS Company Security Officer Certificate desirable
- Familiarity with MCA, COSWP, and the Merchant Ships and Fishing Vessels Regulations (Health & Safety at Work act 1974), Asbestos legislation, SOLAS, MARPOL, ISPS, ISM, IMO
- Maritime Lead Auditor / Auditor
For this role you must have a valid FULL UK car driving license with no more than 6 penalty points
You will periodically be expected to work on rotation away from home to meet with the requirements of the Marine division of Tarmac, this includes a period of maintenance in dry dock
Along with the role of Marine Safety Superintendent we additionally offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Bonus scheme
- Company van for work travel
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities (employee networks) we currently have nine communities inc. (REACH) Religious, Ethnic, Cultural Heritage, LGBTQ+, Parents & Carers, Ability, Wellbeing, Female Voice, and Menopause
- Training and development opportunities
Interested? Why not click here to find out more? Go on… are you ready to build your future?
Tarmac is an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when this happens we sometimes bring the published closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
@Tarmac #Tarmac #TarmacCareers #Marine #merchantnavy #dredging #Marinesafety #MarineSafetySuperintendent #HSE #Maritime
Tarmac Trading Limited