RF Sept 22 - Materials Laboratory Technician
At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
We are currently recruiting for a Materials Laboratory Technician to join our fantastic team here at our Ballidon Quarry, close to Ashbourne in Derbyshire. The role is easily commutable from Leek, Belper, Derby, Uttoxeter, Chesterfield, Buxton, Macclesfield, Ashbourne, Matlock and the surrounding areas.
Here at Tarmac, we are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
The role of Materials Laboratory Technician will report directly to the Senior Technician. As well as this you will provide supporting guidance of matters to ensure their objectives and targets are achieved leading to the successful overall delivery of all works. Whilst this role is laboratory based, the requirement to go out on to the sites to obtain samples is an essential aspect of the role.
This is an exciting opportunity to start your career with our world class business and to get hands-on experience with the possibility of working towards an accredited qualification, ideally we would like experience but we are open to training a new colleague who has the drive and passion to succeed in this role.
You as the Materials Laboratory Technician will be responsible for; not exhaustive:
- Possess good communications skills and will be able to liaise with stakeholders of varying seniority levels
- You will be required to have an understanding of civil engineering materials, materials testing and site construction operations
- You will work closely with the Technical Coordinator, Senior Technicians, Material Technicians and the onsite teams to gain knowledge across a wide range of subjects
- Work with the Senior Technician for site testing, checking results, carrying out preliminary investigations into complaints, and providing technical information to clients
- The role will involve travel to some of our local sites in the region
- Organise and undertake technical testing to ensure test regimes and workload are met, comply with Company systems
- Support the investigation; and resolve quality issues, advise operations and Site Teams of results and potentially suggest actions for improvement
- Test procedures – To ensure testing procedures are fully documented, understood and communicated to comply with company standards
- Sampling & Testing – To carry out sampling and testing in line with contract requirements utilising in-house company Schedule and external 3rd party accredited testhouses where required
- Advise Senior Technician and Operational staff when quality standards are being compromised and take appropriate action to rectify quality issues
- To help investigate and resolve customer complaints and queries
- Ensure your work is carried out in line with company procedures and in a safe manner whilst maintaining a safe and accredited testing environment and have the correct equipment available in calibration
- Have knowledge of on-site Health and Safety policies and procedures
This role is Monday to Friday Day working – OT is available
The Ideal Candidate
The successful applicant in the role of Materials Laboratory Technician will be instrumental in the future development and support our Quarrying, Highways and Technical Teams.
Please note - We are very open to you not being from this field of work as complete training will be given to the new colleague who is successful in this role.
Materials Laboratory Technician - Qualifications/Requirements/Capabilities:
- It is preferred that applicants have five GCSEs (A*C / 9-5) including English, Maths and Science
- NVQ – level 3 – Technician or similar relevant in-house certification would be beneficial but is not essential
- Working knowledge of Asphalt and/or Aggregates products would be highly beneficial
- Knowledge of testing schedule maintenance
- Experience of how to meet sampling frequencies, reporting of results
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant Standards and their application i.e. MCHW, BS.
- Ability to maintain electronic records to efficiently demonstrate conformity and provide supporting data
ESSENTIAL - Full UK manual car driving licence with no more than 6 points as you will have access to a company vehicle for this role in visiting other sites
Along with the role of Materials Laboratory Technician we additionally offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Bonus scheme
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities inc. BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities
Interested? Why not click here to find out more? Go on… are you ready to build your future?
Tarmac is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
@Tarmac #Tarmac #TarmacCareers #Materialstechnician #Quarrying #technician #Testtechnician #Materialstesting #Quarry #Asphalt
Tarmac Trading Limited