Materials Testing Technician
At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
We are currently recruiting for a Materials Testing Technician to join and support our National Contracting Team. This role will be located from our site in Kington, Herefordshire/Powys. You will be required to travel across the assigned region of Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Shropshire, Powys, and the West Midlands and due to the allocated region, the role is easily accessible from Hereford, Worcester, Evesham, Telford, Shrewsbury, Wolverhampton, Dudley, Bridgnorth, Ludlow, Kidderminster, Malvern, Tewkesbury and the surrounding areas
Here at Tarmac, we are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
The role of Materials Testing Technician will report directly to the Senior Technician. As well as this you will provide supporting guidance on matters on behalf of Tarmac to our clients on whose contract/contracts upon which we are operating to ensure their objectives and targets are achieved leading to the successful overall delivery of the works. You as the Materials Testing Technician will be responsible for:
To be successful in this role the ideal candidate for the position will have experience and knowledge of Materials Testing (Asphalt bias preferred). They will also:
- Possess good communications skills and will be able to liaise with stakeholders of varying seniority levels
- You will be required to have an understanding of civil engineering materials, materials testing and site construction operations
- You will work closely with the Technical Coordinator, Senior Technicians, Material Technicians and the onsite teams to gain knowledge across a wide range of subjects
- Work with the Senior Technician for site testing, checking results, carrying out preliminary investigations into complaints, and providing technical information to clients
- The role will involve travel to construction sites across the midland’s region, outdoor working and occasional shift work
- Organise and undertake technical testing to ensure test regimes and workload are met, comply with UKAS and/or Company systems
- Support the investigation; and resolve quality issues, advise operations and Site Teams of results and potentially suggest actions for improvement
- Test procedures – To ensure testing procedures are fully documented, understood and communicated to comply with UKAS standard where required
- Sampling & Testing – To carry out sampling and testing in line with contract requirements utilising in-house UKAS Schedule and external 3rd party accredited testhouses where required
- Advise Senior Technician and Operational staff when quality standards are being compromised and take appropriate action to rectify quality issues
- To help investigate and resolve customer complaints and queries
- Ensure your work is carried out in line with company and UKAS procedures and in a safe manner whilst maintaining a safe and accredited testing environment and have the correct equipment available in calibration
- Have knowledge of on-site Health and Safety policies and procedures
This is an exciting opportunity to start your career with our world class business and to get hands-on experience with the possibility of working towards an accredited qualification
The Ideal Candidate
The successful applicant in the role of Materials Testing Technician will be instrumental in the future development and support our Highways and Technical Team.
Materials Testing Technician - Qualifications/Requirements/Capabilities:
- It is preferred that applicants have five GCSEs (A*C / 9-5) including English, Maths and Science
- NVQ – level 3 – Technician or similar relevant in-house certification
- Working knowledge of Asphalt and Aggregates products would be highly beneficial
- Knowledge of UKAS schedule maintenance
- Knowledge paving operations and techniques
- Experience of how to meet sampling frequencies, reporting of results
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant Standards and their application i.e. MCHW, BS.
- Ability to maintain electronic records to efficiently demonstrate conformity and provide supporting data
ESSENTIAL - Full UK manual car driving licence with no more than 6 points as you will have a company vehicle for this role
Along with the role of Materials Testing Technician we additionally offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Bonus scheme
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities inc. BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities
Interested? Why not click here to find out more? Go on… are you ready to build your future?
Tarmac is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
@Tarmac #Tarmac #Tarmaccareers #MaterialsTechnician #TestTechnician #Materialstesttechnician #Asphalttesting #materials #testing
Tarmac Trading Limited