Senior Commercial Manager - Packed Products (Specialist)
At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
We are currently looking for a Senior Commercial Manager for our Packed Products division to join our team based at our head office in Solihull, West Midlands.
We’re working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
In this key role you will be Accountable for ensuring that the Specialist Products sales team fully comply with legal requirements and Group standards for safety and business conduct. Working closely with the Packed Products Director to develop and implement a sales strategy, recommending and delivering against agreed sales targets to achieve revenue and contribution margin growth for new and existing customers, whilst ensuring the team work safely and embrace the H&S culture of the business.
You’ll also work to develop and drive sales growth ideas, based on fact based market analysis to meet and exceed the annual sales forecast. Represent the business at conferences, trade fairs and networking events and ensure good relationships are maintained and enhanced as an aid to achieving sales targets. Provide leadership, guidance and direction to the Sales teams to ensure all stated objectives, aims and targets are achieved and develop a high-performing team with a culture of delivery and continuous improvement.
You’ll have accountability for developing challenging improvement plans and ensuring that the organisation is appropriately resourced and competent to achieve its targets through effective training of all direct reports and the production of annual performance contracts which support the P&L aims of Packed Operations. Continuous review through monthly 1-2-1’s and performance management reviews.
This is a varied, complex and rewarding opportunity that call for a suitably experienced and ambitious commercial manager. Reporting directly to the Packed Products Director you will have full responsibility covering the following:
- Deliver the sales targets against the agreed Specialist Products strategy
- Develop external and internal sales team capabilities
- Support the brand marketing requirements to support the achievement of the sales strategy
- Ensure all trading agreements are legally compliant and meet UK and Group business requirements
Sales and service
- Feed into and influence the sales strategy.
- Determine the process for internal and external partnership including order taking and fulfilment
- Work with the Technical Sales Managers and Internal Sales Team to agree account plans for priority customers
- Maintain personal relationships with key accounts as required
Planning & Pricing
- Help to develop the Specialist Products S&OP Sales forecasts
- Recommendations for the Specialist Products pricing strategy and execute the plan
- Work with the Technical teams to ensure they can provide support internally to develop technical knowledge of sales teams.
- Deliver price growth ahead of inflationary costs.
- Utilise the teams to support sales opportunities and management of associated risks.
- Identify resource requirements to achieve the Specialist Products sales strategy
- Engage, motivate and develop capability of the sales teams to excel and achieve standard of sales performance and management of effective customer relationships
- Support customer retention through effective customer relationship management
- Recruit and develop individuals to meet talent and succession plans
- Role model Tarmac values and behaviours, ensuring they are communicated and embedded within the team
- Value and growth generation, Margin Generation, Market Share, Pricing, Business Results, Cash Flow
- Achievement against operational metrics for sales i.e. (Targets, Complaints, diverts and re-charges)
- Employee engagement, low staff turnover, improvement in staff assessment and talent. Effective succession planning. Improved staff performance and engagement
- Involvement in safety standards compliance and site audits
- Contribute to the development of the New Products pipeline.
- Ensure a high degree of technical knowledge of the sales teams to meet customer expectations.
- Effective resolution of customer complaints
- Create and enhance a positive work culture, where effective people management, including the attraction and retention of talent in an environment which encourages cross product and functional career development
The Ideal Candidate
As the ideal candidate you will
- Degree (preferable but not essential) or equivalent experience
- Must be experienced in handling complex and pressurised negotiations with key contractors and senior directors of the largest building materials purchasers in the UK. This necessitates a strong understanding of selling and negotiation techniques
- Have a successful track record of managing, leading and developing sales teams in the building material sector
- Experience of project management and the development of compelling sales value propositions is essential
- Entrepreneurship – innovative approach to improving profitability and value added to Company
- Implements and effectively manages change and continuously seeks means to improve the specialist business
Through use of proven analytical skills identifies problems or opportunities and recommends action with clear and concise facts
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits.
Some of the range of benefits on offer to employees include:
- Bonus scheme
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to our employee community groups designed to support you at Tarmac
- Training and development opportunities
Interested? Why not click here to find out more? Go on… are you ready to build your future?
At Tarmac we are passionate that our workforce reflects the communities where we operate. Our ambition is that everyone regardless of level, role, or background will enjoy an environment of respect, inclusion and belonging. We actively remove barriers to ensure everyone is supported and can reach their potential with us. We take active steps to encourage people from a broad range of backgrounds to apply for jobs at Tarmac as we believe a diverse, inclusive company will enable everyone to thrive. We are a disability confident employer and will make reasonable adjustments as required. We are committed to support flexible working and believe getting the balance right is critical to personal and professional success.
Tarmac Trading Limited