Senior Quantity Surveyor
At Griffiths, our people are our company. The way in which we treat people – both our employees and the communities in which we live and work – is a core value that has driven our continued growth over the past five decades. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry. We are a Welsh regional civil engineering and construction contractor with our head office based in Abergavenny. Operating out of regional centres across Wales and England we construct new roads, bridges and railways as well as maintaining existing developments.
In 2018, Griffiths became part of Tarmac, the UK’s leading sustainable building materials business and a wholly owned subsidiary of CRH. Griffiths has over 1,000 employees operating across 100 sites or schemes at any given time.
We are currently looking for 2 Senior Quantity Surveyors to join our rail project teams. One located in Taff’s Well, Cardiff and one located in Abergavenny, supporting our Wales region.
We’re working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
As Senior Quantity Surveyor you will have worked in a similar industry and will have experience of working on projects within the rail industry. Other responsibilities for this role will include:
- Overseeing the measurement and preparation of valuations
- Preparing and agreeing interim valuations and final accounts
- Recording, monitoring and reviewing the financial performance of contracts
- Managing financial accounts and report to senior management on the project performance
- Liaising and presenting to the client on the project performance
- Securing payments from customers within the specified contract terms
- Subcontract procurement and management of subcontractor accounts
- Pricing and agreement of rail project costs
- Mentor and manage subordinate staff
The Ideal Candidate
It is preferred that the successful candidate are educated to degree level in Quantity Surveying, although other equivalent qualifications may be accepted (HNC/HND). Membership to a relevant professional body e.g. CICES or RICS is preferred. Prior experience of working on general Civil Engineering projects is essential and of Railway infrastructure projects is preferred. The ideal candidate will also possess:
- A passion for safety
- Experience of using the NEC and/or ICC (NR) forms of contract
- Valid PTS
- Drive and ambition to succeed
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Numeracy and analytical ability
- Good negotiation skills
- Commercial awareness
- Creativity and imagination
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Organisational ability
- Customer focus and the ability to build relationships.
- Good IT skills specifically on spreadsheets, databases and the ability to adapt to bespoke software packages
At Tarmac we are passionate that our workforce reflects the communities where we operate. Our ambition is that everyone regardless of level, role, or background will enjoy an environment of respect, inclusion and belonging. We actively remove barriers to ensure everyone is supported and can reach their potential with us. We take active steps to encourage people from a broad range of backgrounds to apply for jobs at Tarmac as we believe a diverse, inclusive company will enable everyone to thrive. We are a disability confident employer and will make reasonable adjustments as required. We are committed to support part-time and flexible working and believe getting the balance right is critical to personal and professional success.
Tarmac Trading Limited