Senior Quantity Surveyor
At J B Riney, our people are our company. The way in which we treat our people – both our employees and the communities in which we live and work.
J B Riney is a long- established Civil Engineering company who have operated in the Greater London area for nearly 40 years. Working alongside many Local Authorities and Councils, our well-earned reputation is built on local knowledge, reliability, quality products and services as well as a customer focused delivery.
We have a fantastic permanent opportunity for a Senior Quantity Surveyor to join our team working in partnership with a TFL HM&P/STIC main contractor on sites across London.
Your office location predominantly will be based at our office on Wick Lane in Bow with the contract team. You will however be expected to travel to alternative sites and offices in London, as and when required, based on the needs of the contract. Flexibility to work at home when not required in the office/on site is also possible.
We’re working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
Reporting directly to the Commercial Director you will be Commercial Lead and will be expected to deliver multiple Highways Schemes at varying stages of delivery ranging in value from £100k-£5m. You will also be responsible for:
- Contributing to planning and ECI stages of preconstruction to ensure schemes are pre-estimated and planned efficiently to deliver profitably
- Overseeing the measurement and preparation of valuations with a view to maximising returns under the provisions of the Contract Conditions and Company procedures, driving the reduction of debt and costs
- Pricing star rates for items not in the agreed schedule
- Developing and updating monthly forecasts/budgets
- Completing month end accounting process including CVR spreadsheet
- Physical measurement of works and agreement of same with client
- Drafting and administering subcontracts for specialist work streams
- Agreement of certification and processing payment/invoicing both for client and subcontractor accounts
- Assessing, reviewing and mitigating commercial and contractual risks
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role you will have previous experience in a Quantity Surveyor/ Project Quantity Surveyor role within the Civil Engineering industry.
- Experience within a lead commercial role
- Experience of on-site measurement and self-delivery experience
- NEC experience – Options A and C ECC preferable
- Experience of liaising regularly with both internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- Analytical skills
- Process driven and self- motivated
- Degree educated (required)
- Largely qualified by experience related to industry standards
- Member of RICS, or ICES (desirable)
At Tarmac we are passionate that our workforce reflects the communities where we operate. Our ambition is that everyone regardless of level, role, or background will enjoy an environment of respect, inclusion and belonging. We actively remove barriers to ensure everyone is supported and can reach their potential with us. We take active steps to encourage people from a broad range of backgrounds to apply for jobs at Tarmac as we believe a diverse, inclusive company will enable everyone to thrive. We are a disability confident employer and will make reasonable adjustments as required. We are committed to support flexible working and believe getting the balance right is critical to personal and professional success.
Tarmac Trading Limited