Technical & Product Development Manager
We’re hiring in our Packed Products division for a Technical & Product Development Manager - Packed Products, who will lead technical and quality teams across the Packed Products business to ensure all products manufactured comply to quality standards. You’ll drive technical optimisation across all products to minimise cost while remaining compliant to all relevant standards and not adversely impacting product performance You’ll also lead on product development and be responsible for taking new product ideas from concept to launch and be required to govern the methods and systems required to achieve compliance and consistency and product conformity. This key role will act as the Packed Products technical authority and representative internally and externally. The successful candidate will be both tactical and strategic in operational and commercial functions. Of course, you’ll drive a culture of safety and high-quality standards within the teams, ensuring our customers’ needs are met. Finally, you will take responsibility for developing the long-term technical and product development strategy within the business through leadership and collaborative working.
In this role you will be responsible for a number of tasks including:
- Deliver all technical and quality changes required to achieve the Packed Products strategy
- Drive product development activities to achieve the Packed Products strategy
- Work closely with the management teams to ensure customer needs are met
- Drive technical & quality teams to deliver wider business objectives & develop a long-term product pipeline ensuring the business can deliver against market trends; existing & new opportunities
- Drive technical optimisation across all products but not to the detriment of quality & performance
- Health, Safety & Environmental responsibility for Technical and Quality Packed Products functions
- Development of employees to ensure clear succession planning.
- Lead and support the Packed operational and commercial teams in their role to deliver material and customer solutions for our products, ensuring national consistency
- Lead on the product evaluation and business and product development cycle, including driving any new product development trials, to bring the product to the marketplace
- To monitor and help the operations team meet compliance and consistency criteria to ensure products conform
- To ensure operational systems adhered to in accordance with quality control plans & procedures
- To investigate and rule on major complaints and make recommendation for improvements
- To work with operational teams to optimise plant productivity and efficiency.
- Develop and drive a culture of continuous improvement, including best practice sharing across the plants - ensuring the health and safety culture is embedded in all sites.
The Ideal Candidate
To succeed in this role, it is envisaged that you will have the following:
Strong knowledge of technical governance and standards
Experienced in Product development (NPDi framework)
Experienced Project Manager
Experience in the construction industry (ideally concrete, mortar, cement, cementitious & formulation)
Strong knowledge of product specifications, standards development, Quality assurance & Quality control systems, and processes and legislation
Representing the Company with key customers at a senior level
Working with industry bodies
Skills / Knowledge:
Technical expertise industry (ideally concrete, mortar, cement, cementitious & formulation)
Industry and Market Knowledge
Excellent communication, presentation skills, negotiation, influencing and facilitation skills
Coaching and development of others
HSE IOSH (preferred)
Leadership - ability to lead Technical & Quality teams & develop a strategy which considers the development of people, improvement & development of technical standards & product development.
Teamwork - The ability to work in partnership with Plant Management and Commercial Team.
Customer Focus - The ability to seek new product development opportunities and new ways of working to build lasting foundations for future development.
Drive - To drive results within the Technical and Quality teams
Communication - ability to collaborate with industry bodies & customers to promote the Tarmac brand
Thinking Skills - The ability to contribute to the development of new products and solutions
Driving Improvements - To champion high technical standards and drive new product development opportunities as well as technical optimisation opportunities.
- Bonus scheme
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Car or car allowance (role dependent)
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities inc. BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities
Tarmac Trading Limited