Founded in 1968 Griffiths are one of the leading civil engineering and construction organisations working in Wales, the English border counties, and the West of England.
We pride ourselves in providing the “personal touch” establishing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships at all levels within client organisations, throughout the supply chain and with stakeholders.
We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry we offer a range of career development opportunities as a Business Unit of Tarmac PLC. We are looking for people who share this passion, enthusiasm, and collaborative approach to join our team. As part of a global business in CRH, the career opportunities are limitless.
We are currently looking to recruit a Site Agent to join our friendly team to work on our forthcoming A40 Llanddewi Velfrey to Redstone Cross road construction/highways project. The project consists of the construction a new off-line 6km carriageway. As well as the road construction works, there will be new structures: two precast bridges, multiple culverts, attenuation ponds, accommodation tracks and detrunking and active travel facilities. This is an ideal opportunity for a candidate with highways, structures, earthworks and drainage industry experience.
Whilst the project will commence around Summer 2021, this position will then continue within the thriving Alun Griffiths Business within the South Wales region.
The works will be carried out on the A40 in Llanddewi Velfrey, near Narbeth, and so we will be looking to receive applications from candidates based within a one hour radius of this location or from candidates willing to relocate. Carmarthen would be the closest town, approximately 20 minutes east.
We are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it is important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds with a team approach of working together to achieve the success of this project.
Reporting directly to the Construction Manager the Site Agent shall manage, supervise and mentor their TEAM of Setting Out Engineers, Trainee Engineers and Foreman to ensure high levels of engineering control, efficient productivity and appropriate records. They will also:
- Ensure the delivery of the Project on time, to budget and to the standard of quality required
- Comply and implement the companies Integrated Management System procedures and guidance and promote its implementation with the Project Team
- Develop a proactive working relationship with Clients, Consultants and all Company personnel
- Familiarise themselves with all Contract Documentation and Drawings including Company Management Plans to ensure the safe and efficient delivery of the Project
- Implement and address items requested by the Project Manager, and review the Contract Programme for their Section and inform of any improvements or concerns
- Promote and lead the site safety culture, ensuring that all works are carried out in a planned, controlled and safe manner, in accordance with statutory regulations, current standards, and the Company SHEQ standards
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role the ideal candidate will have an extensive Civil Engineering background with experience of Highways/Road Construction projects. They will also have had exposure to Drainage and Earthworks within their previous roles. They will also have had exposure of managing a similar team dynamic.
- Strong personal and organisational skills
- Good Leader and encourages others
- Strong communication and IT skills
- Good attention to detail
- Can solve problems calmly, safely and effectively
- To be self-motivated and be able to prioritise and manage workload
- To be responsive to the needs of internal and external customers and colleagues
- High level of Commercial acumen
- Understand change and know how to control it
- Looking to progress individuals career
- Passion for keeping people safe and improving themselves, cultures and individuals
- Customer focus and the ability to build relationships.
- Good negotiation skills
- An ability to plan and organise works safely and efficiently.
- Excellent organisation ability
- A preference for teamworking and collaboration
- Strong communication and IT skills
- The ability to prioritise and manage workload and is self-motivated.
- A good understanding of current methods and up to date knowledge of specifications and contract principles
- A working knowledge of NEC contracts and other common forms
- Keen to become an Institution of Civil Engineers member
- Rewards others when required
- Preferably a further education qualification e.g. Degree or HND/HNC (ideally relatable to Civil Engineering)
- CSCS qualification
- Crane appointed person
- First Aid at work (desirable)
- Temporary Works Coordinator (desirable)
- Confined space (desirable)
- Able to work site hours Mon – Fri 07.30 -17.30
- Able to work occasional nights and weekend shifts.
At Tarmac we are passionate that our workforce reflects the communities where we operate. Our ambition is that everyone regardless of level, role, or background will enjoy an environment of respect, inclusion and belonging. We actively remove barriers to ensure everyone is supported and can reach their potential with us. We take active steps to encourage people from a broad range of backgrounds to apply for jobs at Tarmac as we believe a diverse, inclusive company will enable everyone to thrive. We are a disability confident employer and will make reasonable adjustments as required. We are committed to support flexible working and believe getting the balance right is critical to personal and professional success.
Tarmac Trading Limited