Founded in 1968 Griffiths are one of the leading civil engineering and construction organisations working in Wales, the English border counties, and the West of England.
We pride ourselves in providing the “personal touch” establishing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships at all levels within client organisations, throughout the supply chain and with stakeholders.
We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry we offer a range of career development opportunities as a Business Unit of Tarmac PLC. We are looking for people who share this passion, enthusiasm, and collaborative approach to join our team. As part of a global business in CRH, the career opportunities are limitless.
We are currently looking to recruit a Site Engineer to join our friendly team to work on our A465 Head of the Valleys road construction/Highways improvement project. The project consists of 17.3km of predominantly on-line improvement of the A465 trunk road between Dowlais and Hirwaun, from three-lane single carriageway to dual two-lane carriageway. As well as road construction works will include new structures: bridges, culverts, retaining walls and general maintenance. This is an ideal opportunity for a candidate with Highways and Earthworks/Drainage industry experience.
We are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it is important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
The Site Engineer will report to the Site Agent and work with the Works Manager and Foreman to ensure that dimensional control and QA processes are undertaken in a timely manner to meet the Project Programme.
They will comply and implement the company’s Business Management System procedures and guidance and promote its implementation with the Project Team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Promote and lead the site safety culture. Ensure that all works are carried out in a planned, controlled, and safe manner, in accordance with statutory regulations, current standards, and the Company SHEQ standards.
- Record any Near Misses on the Near Miss Cards, completed cards to be provided to the Safety Manager.
- Review Site Operations with Section Agents to ensure that any works being undertaken outside of the Contract Requirements are raised, including those verbally instructed by Employer or Others.
- Monitor delivery of the project, identifying risk and opportunities to optimise project delivery, reporting key risks/opportunities to the Section Agent.
- Ensure contemporary Record Keeping through the maintenance of a site diary.
- Ensure required Setting Out is undertaken in timely manner using the latest Design Information to enable operations to progress effectively and provide material quantity requirements to Works Manager/Section Agent to enable timely delivery of required materials.
- Review Inspection and Test Plans with the Section Agent and ensure the required inspections and testing is undertaken and documented in the relevant file in accordance with the Project Management Plan.
- Provide Quality Co-Ordinator with the required QA documentation for collation and submission to the Employer.
- Continual updating of as-built drawings on site and maintain measurement records to be submitted to Section Agent on Weekly Basis.
- Review all relevant design information and raise Technical Queries where required.
- Ensure all Survey/Testing Equipment has a current calibration certificate and maintain the Equipment Register for all Survey, Testing and Inspection equipment.
- Ensure all works are undertaken in accordance with the RAMS and that Hold Points are adhered to and actioned accordingly. Any non-conformities to be reported immediately to the Section Agent.
- Ensure all Permits to Work (Excavation, Hot Works, Confined Spaces, Electrical Connections) are raised on relevant forms, issued, and filed with a copy of Permit issued to appropriate Ganger and briefed accordingly.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for a candidate who possesses:
- Strong leadership and motivational skills
- A passion for keeping people safe.
- Customer focus and the ability to build relationships.
- Good negotiation skills
- An ability to plan and organise works safely and efficiently.
- Excellent managerial and organisation ability
- A preference for team working and collaboration
- High level of Commercial acumen
- Strong communication and IT skills
- Attention to detail.
- The ability to prioritise and manage workload and is self-motivated.
- A good understanding of current methods and up to date knowledge of specifications and contract principles
- A working knowledge of NEC contracts and other common forms
- Preferably a further education qualification e.g., Degree or HND/HNC (in Civil Engineering or similar)
- CSCS qualification (desirable)
- Proven experience in Civil Engineering Contracting, preferably Highways, Earthworks and Drainage
- SMSTS/IOSH (Safety Related Qualifications)
- Temporary Works Co-ordinator & confined spaces preferable
- Planning Software & AutoCAD Training would be advantageous
At Tarmac we are passionate that our workforce reflects the communities where we operate. Our ambition is that everyone regardless of level, role, or background will enjoy an environment of respect, inclusion and belonging. We actively remove barriers to ensure everyone is supported and can reach their potential with us. We take active steps to encourage people from a broad range of backgrounds to apply for jobs at Tarmac as we believe a diverse, inclusive company will enable everyone to thrive. We are a disability confident employer and will make reasonable adjustments as required. We are committed to support flexible working and believe getting the balance right is critical to personal and professional success.
Tarmac Trading Limited