Founded in 1968 Griffiths are one of the leading civil engineering and construction organisations working in Wales, the English border counties, and the West of England.
We pride ourselves in providing the “personal touch” establishing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships at all levels within client organisations, throughout the supply chain and with stakeholders.
We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry we offer a range of career development opportunities as a Business Unit of Tarmac PLC. We are looking for people who share this passion, enthusiasm, and collaborative approach to join our team. As part of a global business in CRH, the career opportunities are limitless.
We are currently looking to recruit a Trainee Engineer to join our friendly team to work on our forthcoming A40 Llanddewi Velfrey to Redstone Cross road construction/highways project. The project consists of the construction a new off-line 6km carriageway. As well as the road construction works, there will be new structures: two precast bridges, multiple culverts, attenuation ponds, accommodation tracks and detrunking and active travel facilities. This is an ideal opportunity for a candidate with highways, structures, earthworks and drainage industry experience.
Whilst the project will commence around Summer 2021, this position will then continue within the thriving Alun Griffiths Business within the South Wales region.
The works will be carried out on the A40 in Llanddewi Velfrey, near Narbeth, and so we will be looking to receive applications from candidates based within a one hour radius of this location. Carmarthen would be the closest town, approximately 20 minutes east.
We are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it is important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds with a team approach of working together to achieve the success of this project.
The Trainee Engineer will report to the Section Agent and work within the team involving the Setting-Out Engineer and Foreman to ensure that dimensional control and QA processes are undertaken in a timely manner to meet the Project Programme.
Responsibilities will include:
- Learn the duties of a setting out engineer and the other disciplines above this role
- Be actively understanding and thus promoting to lead the site safety culture.
- Raise anything that you believe might be different to what is expected in this safety culture organisation
- Assist the Setting out Engineer in their duly activities and responsibilities
- Assist in ensuring that all works are carried out in a planned, controlled, and safe manner, in accordance with statutory regulations, current standards, and the Company SHEQ standards.
- Assist recording of Near Misses on the Near Miss Cards, completed cards to be provided to the Safety Manager.
- Ensure contemporary Record Keeping through the maintenance of a site diary.
- Assist providing the Quality Co-Ordinator with the required QA documentation for collation and submission to the Employer.
- Compare written safety documentation to practices onsite ensuring full compliance or flag up to the Section Agent if differences seen.
- Ensure all Permits to Work (Excavation, Hot Works, Confined Spaces, Electrical Connections) are raised on relevant forms, issued, and filed with a copy of Permit issued to appropriate Ganger and briefed accordingly.
- Gain experience and knowledge of company procedures and working methods
- Understand and become an efficient setting out engineer with time
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role the ideal candidate will have a Civil Engineering training background ideally with some experience of Highways/Road Construction projects.
- Good personal and organisational skills
- Strong communication and IT skills
- Strong attention to detail
- To be self-motivated and be able to prioritise and manage workload
- Willingness to learn and improve
- Good listener and observer
- Reliable and good time keeper
- Passionate about being a Civil Engineer
- Keen to become an Institution of Civil Engineers member
- Preferably a further education qualification e.g. Degree or HND/HNC (ideally relatable to Civil Engineering)
- AutoCAD skills (desirable)
- CSCS qualification (desirable)
- Able to work site hours Mon – Fri 07.30 -17.30
- Able to work occasional nights and weekend shifts.
At Tarmac we are passionate that our workforce reflects the communities where we operate. Our ambition is that everyone regardless of level, role, or background will enjoy an environment of respect, inclusion and belonging. We actively remove barriers to ensure everyone is supported and can reach their potential with us. We take active steps to encourage people from a broad range of backgrounds to apply for jobs at Tarmac as we believe a diverse, inclusive company will enable everyone to thrive. We are a disability confident employer and will make reasonable adjustments as required. We are committed to support flexible working and believe getting the balance right is critical to personal and professional success.
Tarmac Trading Limited